Thursday, May 1, 2014

Pineapple Upside Down Cake


My blog isn't just  a place for me to share recipes  but also a place to store my recipes for future use. Both my sisters and I love  our cookbooks and we are always borrowing books from each other and buying cooking  magazines such as Australian Women's Weekly or Good HouseKeeping ...  This recipe is one of those recipes I wrote down from  one of my sister's (who is better cook and baker than me)  cook book collection.  Its fairly  easy  and delicious.


Recipe :  Pineapple Upside Down Cake ( sorry I cant remember where I took the recipe from, ). 

Base:
1/3 cup Light brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 can of Pineapple rings

Cake
1 cup plain  flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
6 tbsp butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 10 inch  round tray. ( I do mean lightly just use a piece of tissue to rub a tiny bit of butter. )

Place brown sugar and  butter ( needed for base) and 2 tablespoons of  the juice  found inside the canned pineapple in a sauce pan. Place this over a low heat on stove top and  gently melt the butter and just starting to simmer. Pour into the prepared tray, arrange the pineapple rings on top of the sauce.

Take two  mixing bowls, in one , sift flour, baking powder, and salt and mix. Set a side.

In a separate bowl,  beat sugar and butter till fluffy. Beat in egg , and vanilla.

Then , add flour mixture and milk, a little at  a time into the egg mixture, ( meaning, add a tablespoon of the flour mix, beat in then add a little milk , mix then again flour , and so on). Once  mixed, spoon  over the pineapple slices, smooth the top and pop in oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes.

Let it cool  for 10- 15 minutes, then carefully run a  knife around the edges and invert on serving plate, very carefully.

Enjoy!.

10 comments:

  1. Have to try this soon. looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a huge slice of this cake now, very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love upside down cakes. This looks very beautiful and tasty, Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kind of cakes. Looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nammi,
    Upside down pineapple cakes is one of my favourites! Have not eaten one in ages! Would love to have a slice of your lovely cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Can you believe I never made one before? I've eaten them plenty but never baked one myself. I need to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks really good dear... even i use my blog as a reference text, keep going back and trying to improvise... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so agree I often look back at my blog for recipes and this looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super tasty upside down cake Nimmi :) would love to grab a slice!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails