Bashi Mashuni ( Eggplant and Tuna Sambal)


                                            

My sons hate eggplants, I have tried frying eggplants with bread crumbs or making curry out of them, but they just seem to choke and gag every time I try to feed them eggplants.

Mashuni is a type of fish sambal or salad of sorts.  A local dish is usually served with flatbread for breakfast or dinner. Sometimes its made with just smoked tuna, onions, chillies, lime and freshly grated coconut. If pressed for time the smoked tuna is replaced with a canned tuna.
Sometimes there is some type of vegetable added, such as a local green finely sliced, cooked pumpkin, drumstick or eggplants.

 A few days ago I decided to make eggplant mashuni to go alongside my flatbread.  My mum usually boils the eggplants but I decided to roast my eggplants instead. The taste was much nicer as roasted eggplants tasted much better than boiled ones.  After dinner, I asked my elder son whether he liked his mashuni and he said, yes mum !!, when I told him he had just wolfed down some eggplants he had all round eyes and a  big " HUh!?!?!, really!! so that's why you kept asking me if  I liked it "!
 
Recipe : Bashi Mashuni 

350g  purple eggplants ( buy those large fat ones)
1 small onion, finely sliced
1 fillet of smoked tuna, finely sliced or  1 can of tuna ( oil or water drained)
1/3- 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
1-2 green chillies  finely sliced
juice of 1 lime
salt

1. Prick your eggplant with a fork a few times and pop it into a hot oven, about gas mark 5- 6 for about 30- 45 minutes till brown and slightly shrivelled.  ( if you want to speed things up a bit, cut the eggplant in half and place it on a lightly oiled baking tray cut side down for  about 20 minutes.)Take it out cool cut it in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Place on chopping board and finely chop the flesh. Set aside.



2. Place your sliced onions in a bowl, along with lime juice and salt and with your fingers scrunch up till the onions become soft and release their juices.

3. Add in chillies and fish and mix well. Stir in eggplant and grated coconut. Taste adjust salt and add more lime juice if necessary.
Serve.

Note: This is best made a few minutes before serving, although if made a few hours ahead you can store in the refrigerator but it is not suitable to freeze or microwave.


Comments

  1. That is great that they liked it! Looks and sounds delicious! I love roasted eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done, who can resist to this wonderful sambal..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally new recipe for me, thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love eggplants and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....