The Sneaky Mum's Tomato Sauce



Trying to feed kids can be difficult especially when they can get picky.  My younger son is a picky eater compared to my elder son.  He prefers tomato sauce on his pasta and doesn't like it when I add broccoli peas or any form of vegetables.
 For a vegetable, he would eat cucumber and carrots, and with a little help from his beybe ( big brother), he likes to much on lettuce when having his rice. So I came up with hiding my vegetables in tomato sauce, which I like to make in big batches and freeze in little containers in the freezer. Its good as a pasta sauce, stirred into rice or spread on pizza.

Recipe: Sneaky Mum's  Tomato sauce.

2 cloves of garlic, cut in half
1/3 cup  chopped carrot ( half a small carrot)
4 broccoli florets, roughly chopped ( fresh or frozen)
1/3 cup chopped green zucchini
1 can of peeled whole or crushed tomatoes. 
1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs 
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
water
olive oil



1. Heat about 2 tbsp olive oil with the garlic in a large deep frying pan or saucepan.  Once the garlic starts to cook and release its delicious aroma( not burnt smell), add the vegetables except the broccoli, and saute' your vegetables for about 2 minutes. 

2. Stir in your can of tomatoes. Add water into the can till it's half of the can swirl it around and add into the pan.  Add herbs, pepper ( a generous helping)  and sugar and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, reduce heat and cook covered till the sauce reduces. 

3. Finally stir in broccoli florets, cook for 2 minutes,  taste, and adjust salt.  Switch off.  Let the sauce cool, pour into a blender or food processor and then blend till smooth.  Serve with pasta and sausages and my little one had no idea he was eating his dreaded vegetables. !!

If only he knew :)

Comments

  1. nice little trick to feed the kids...even my toddler is turning picky these days..ur post is very helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a wonderful way to feed kids this way na, seriously very interesting Nammi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I like you, Nammi!!! Your sneaky mum! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too make pasta sauce with vegetables, for my 1yr old :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....