Make Your own Dried Bread Crumbs


Back home in Maldives, we have dried bread crumbs sold in shops known as faaroshi kundi. This particular bread crumbs are made of sweet bread rolls, which are then toasted and sold as faaroshi. These look like rusks, dried up, the kind that can make choke but a lot of people love to eat them dunked in milky tea, or even turn it into a savory snack called kulhi faaroshi. Now these dried-up bread rolls are again processed  and turned to fine crumbs and sold as faaroshi kundhi and used to coat fish for fryingcutlets and rolls 

Now what's that got to do with not knowing how to make bread crumbs? You see, I once had someone asking me where she can get faaroshi kundhi aka bread crumbs, to make cutlets.  I am sure I must have looked at her as if she had grown two heads but then again with the same story as above, you probably understand why( hopefully).  
.
So to make bread crumbs  you need :

A few slices of old bread or bread rolls.  Or use a whole loaf of old bread if you want.

Toast them in an oven or toaster till golden brown, and dried up ( now don't go turning them black). You can even put it on a hot frying pan and toast it if you don't have a toaster or an oven.

Put it in the grinder or food processor or in a motor and pestle and process to crumbs. Store in a clean dry airtight container.

Comments

  1. Wow.. is it this much simple... OMG..... till this time, i have not tried it at home... book marked urs to try it at once... thanks for sharing dear...

    http://akilaskitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love fresh bread crumbs on cutlets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love fresh bread crumbs and I too make my own bread crumbs at home..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why I haven't tried it yet..it sounds so easy..you have tempted me to try it soon :)
    First time here...One lovely collection you have!
    Do drop by my space sometime.
    Aipi

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  5. its so easy to make it at home itself..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seldom use breadcrumbs but if there's any left over bread I blast it in the processor and add to meat balls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make it exactly like this too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....